Saturday, October 31, 2009

Sodium and water retention?

how much sodium are we allowed to eat dailly without retaining water?
Answer:
Recently, I had a huge problem with water retention. (65 POUNDS of fluid)... turns out I have conjestive heart failure and severe pulmonary hypertension---the doctor put me on a LOW sodium diet---I am allowed 2 grams of sodium per day and NO more---. When I left the hospital I was told to only drink 2 liters of fluid per day but that has since been increased as I actually became dehydrated... I got a salt substitute called "NO SALT" (a potassium based salt substitute) that was given the OK by my doctor...it still has the salt TASTE but none of the sodium. Health care professionals state that you should drink 8 glasses (8 oz. each) of water per day ( or some other fluid)...More if you are exercising a lot or if it is a very WARM day. Since I've lowered my sodium intake, I have not retained water .

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net