Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Start Running!?

I want to be able to jog better, but I'm totally out of shape. I can only run about a mile going 6mph with a couple of short breaks. What is the best method to get my endurance up? Thanks to everybody for reading!
Answer:
Some good tips here, just make sure you don't increase by more than 10% weekly, or else expect to be sidelined with injury such as shin splints.
just keep going at it. you will build up endurance after maybe 3 weeks.
Well, just pace yourself. Start off jogging slow and make sure your breathing. When I started running I found that I didn't exactly breathe right, so I would have trouble breathing the more I ran. Listen to music and just mouth the words.. it can get your mind off running. For me that helps.. sometimes I listen to a song and before I know it I've ran pretty far without even really thinking about how tired I am. You can also run with a friend if you want.. but you'll have to job so that you are still capable of talking,.. or just don't talk. Don't forget the water.. it's really important. And NEVER GIVE UP. I know its hard.. but try to keep running.. you can do it I know you can.. that's how you'll get your endurance up.
Hope I helped. =)
Take it from me - I am 13 years old on a 7th grade track team. I can run the mile in 6:45 if the wind is extremely low. I run the 1 mile, 2 mile, and 70m sprint. The 2 mile is very difficult - more mental than physical. You start slow. Make up a pattern. Jog slow. Kids will be wondering what the heck you're doing, but ignore them. So, you start jogging slow, then pick up your speed only slightly the second lap. Gradually increase your speed and pick up your body and you'll be whizzing past everyone in no time. But remember, it isn't a race in your case. You need to just practice a whole lot. Make a mental pattern for running that you won't forget. Remember to stretch the best you can!
I feel your pain, I couldn't even run half a mile without stopping when I started.
When you are starting out, I found it was better to run slower and not stop. This gets you used to being on your feet for a long time. Run as far as you can without stopping, the next time you run, your aim is to run a bit further (even if only by a few feet). If you keep this up you will most definitely improve, it just takes time. I've been running for 2 years now (approx 3 time a week) and I can now run over 6 miles with ease. Just remember you will have days when you cannot run as far as you did the time before. Don't be disheartened by this... it happens to everyone. Why don't you sign up for a fun run. This is a great way to motivate yourself to train... and its great fun! Hope this was helpful - Good Luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net